Saturday, December 5, 2015

I Support the War on Christmas


We visited our local PUBLIC elementary two days ago to discuss some academic testing for our oldest son. I know this is going to sound dramatic, but this is how I felt - the Christmasy feeling in the school was  offensive. I was shocked by the 20 foot Christmas tree in the lobby, the tinsel and ribbons decking the halls and the four or five smaller trees adorned with ornaments on the counter in the front office. Are my tax dollars paying for this nonsense? Is this the norm here in Kentucky?

Apparently it's all perfectly legal. According to the ADL, Christmas trees are considered ' Seasonal decorations' and are not necessarily a Christian thing. I could maybe get behind this if it was just an Evergreen type tree without the ridiculous decorations or if the tree were a more modest size and joined with a menorah and other religion's current holidays, but there was not a Dreidel to be seen. And we looked.

I'm not saying you can't have Christmas tree in your private place of business, worship or home. By all means, say "Merry Christmas" to whomever you like. But my Jewish children to not need to be blasted by your religious celebration at public school where I pay my taxes.

Yet another reason why I will do my best to continue to homeschool my guys for a while longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment